Kansas Teacher Recertification Requirements
Professional Development Guidelines for Kansas Teachers
There are several options and requirements for Kansas teachers to obtain licensure. Please visit the Kansas State Department of Education for more details. Kansas’ guidelines for teachers for license renewal and Professional Development requirements are as follows:
If the applicant holds a graduate degree:
They must earn 120 professional development points awarded by a Kansas local professional development council under an approved individual development plan.
If the applicant does not hold a graduate degree:
- They must earn 160 professional development points awarded by a Kansas local professional development council under an approved individual development plan, including at least 80 points for college credit.
- If retired and participating in an educational retirement system, earn 80 professional development points, including at least 40 points for college credit.
- If completing a program to add a new teaching, school specialist or school leadership endorsement, apply eight semester credit hours of the approved program towards renewal.
- Verify three years of accredited experience during the current professional license IF the applicant holds a graduate degree. This type of experience renewal may be used only twice in the applicant’s career.
- Complete all components of the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards assessment for National Board Certification.
- To move to an accomplished teaching license, achieve National Board Certification
*Source: Kansas State Department of Education
- Use our Request Approval form to request approval for a Model Teaching course to be used to satisfy your professional development requirements.
- Receive a Certificate of Completion at the conclusion of the course, documenting course clock hours and micro-credential badges.
- Subscribe for one year of access to all available online courses or learn more about our online professional development courses
Approval Request Form
Download and submit this Request for Approval form if you wish to seek approval from your state or district to apply Model Teaching courses to your state’s professional development requirements.
*The information on this page was last updated August, 2018. Please refer to the Kansas State Department of Education web page for the most accurate and current information on Kansas teacher recertification requirements.
PLEASE NOTE: The content provided on this page is solely provided for informational purposes and does not exempt users from their responsibility to ensure that our courses meet their state’s continuing education requirements. Please check with your state certification agency for up to date policies for teacher certification renewal/continuing education and use our Request Approval form if you are considering one of our courses for your professional development clock hour requirements.