(6 Hours) Participants in this course will learn about the importance of direct phonics instruction and hands-on word work, and how this instruction directly helps to develop the reading and writing fluency of their students.
Course Guiding Question
Once I have determined how much time I will allot for literacy stations, and grouped my students according to their levels of spelling development, what strategies can I implement at each station in order to improve my students reading and writing fluency?
What You Will Learn In This Course
- How to group your students appropriately based on their levels of spelling development.
- A basic overview and skill progression of phonics for all ages, including mare challenging word work strategies for older, fluent readers.
- A variety of strategies that can be implemented at literacy stations for phonics, word work, and sight words.
- Specific activities you can use to directly improve reading and writing fluency.
How Our Courses Work:
Wendy Lipe, Instructor
B.S. Interdisciplinary Studies
Southwest Texas State University
Experience & Credentials:
Over 8 Years of Teaching Experience
Current Elementary-Level Teacher
ESL State Certified (Texas), TAG Certified
Experience with Students with Learning Disabilities
(ADD, ADHD, & Dyslexia)
STATE CERTIFIED TEACHER
At the conclusion of the course, you will receive a certificate for 6 CPE hours. Model Teaching and Action Potential Learning is a Statewide, TEA (Texas Education Agency) approved provider for Continuing Professional Education credit. CPE# 902-391
Helpful Resources & Templates Included in the Course
The course comes with 12 templates, tools, and graphic organizers ready to be used in your classroom! These include:
- Grouping Students Template
- Phonics Stations Template
- Spelling Menu Board
- Word Sort Template With Examples
- Word Work Stations
- Sight Word & Vocabulary Stations
- Word Bump Game
- Station Rotation Plan
- Effectiveness Rubric
- Reading Fluency Stations
- Writing Fluency Stations
- Writing Across the Disciplines Tool
Section 1 - Strategic Grouping
Section 2 - Phonics
Section 3 - Word Work
Section 4 - Sight Words
Section 5 - Reading Fluency
Section 6 - Writing Fluency
Section 7 - Putting It All Together
Section 8 - Applying What You Have Learned