Delaware has a three-tier licensing system for its teachers and educators. New teachers can obtain an initial license which is valid for three years. After successfully completing three years of teaching with satisfactory evaluations, teachers can receive a continuing license, valid for 5 years. An advanced teaching license can be earned through certification by the national Board of Professional Teaching Standards.
Delaware teachers must complete 90 clock hours of professional development, at least half of which based on activities related to work with students or staff. Professional development clock hours must be compliant with Delaware Title 14 Professional Standards Board. Model Teaching courses may fall under the category of both “College Course” and “Professional Committee, Conference, Workshop, Institute or Academy”. See it Here: http://regulations.delaware.gov/AdminCode/title14/1500/1511.pdf
Page 5 of the above document provides guidelines for teachers who’s licenses have expired and need to be renewed.
Acceptable Clock Hours:
Delaware Regulations states:
“For renewal of the Continuing License, educators may complete and document Clock Hours for the variety of activities described under relicensure options. When college or university courses are used to fulfill the requirements, the following equivalencies shall be used: one (1) semester hour equals fifteen (15) Clock Hours, one (1) quarter hour equals ten (10) Clock Hours, one (1) Continuing Education Unit (CEU) equals ten (10) Clock Hours. To be documented for Clock Hours, activities shall meet the criteria set forth in the regulations and shall be appropriately verified and applied for. Professional Development activities that are part of a DPAS II assistance or improvement plan or the equivalent thereof on a state-approved alternative educator evaluation system may be used to satisfy this requirement. Individuals, schools or school districts, or other agencies organizing or conducting Professional Development activities which may be used for fulfilling the requirements for renewal of a license are responsible for providing documentation of participation to all participants.”
Criteria for determining if activities are acceptable for Clock Hour credit for an educator include the following:
- “The activity enhances the Knowledge and Skills in the educator's job or contributes to his/her school or profession.”
- “The activity meets one of the relicensure options.”
- “The activity addresses one of the standards for the educator's area of the profession.”
- “The activity is completed during the term of the educator's current Continuing License.
- "The activity addresses specific Professional Educator Standards.”
- “Participation in, or completion of, the activity can be documented.”
Categories accepted by Delaware Department of Education that pertain to Model Teaching Courses:
1. College Course: Clock Hours may be accrued where 1 semester hour equals 15 hours and 1 quarter semester hour or Continuing Education Unit (CEU) equals 10 hours.
- The course shall be completed within a matriculated Masters program, Doctoral program or a graduate level course of study at or through a regionally accredited college or university or other Department-approved provider. The course may also be an undergraduate course as seen by the educator as necessary to acquire new Knowledge and Skills related to the educator’s position. The course shall be taken at a regionally accredited college or university for credit. The educator shall attain a grade of "B" or better (or a "P" in Pass / Fail course).
- Official transcripts, original grade slips or an original certificate of completion for Continuing Education Units (CEUs) shall be presented to the Department.
Model Teaching offers courses provided through regionally-accredited Humboldt State University and Seattle Pacific University. These institutions are accredited by WASC-ACSCU and NWCCU respectively. Our University-Partnered Courses may be acceptable for Delaware teacher license renewal and Professional Development requirement hours according to The Delaware Department of Education. All courses completed through our academic partners will include access to an official transcript from that academic institution for submission to any license-granting authority.
2. Professional Committee, Conference, Workshop, Institute or Academy: Verified Clock Hours of service or experience.
- The educator may include time spent in those portions of the Professional Committee, Conference, Workshop, Institute or Academy that contribute to the educator’s Knowledge and Skills, competence, performance or effectiveness in education that are directly connected to the school, district or charter school’s success plan or State initiative. This option includes workshops offered by districts or other employing authorities either as part of a professional development day or during after school hours. Examples of expected student or educator outcomes are anticipated.
- The completed Activity Documentation Form and the original certificate of attendance or completion or a letter from the Professional Committee, Conference, Workshop, Institute or Academy staff shall be presented to the Department.
Model Teaching offers high-quality Professional Development Courses, relevant to most teaching license subject areas. All Professional Development courses will include a certificate of completion, documenting your earned hours.
To confirm usage of our Online PD/ Continuing Education, Non-Partnered courses as well as our University-Partnered courses for teacher license renewal, we recommend you complete and submit our Request for Approval Form to the Delaware Department of Education.
REFERENCE: Delaware Department of Education
*The information on this page was last updated 3/2019. Please refer to the Delaware Department of Education web page for the most accurate and current information on Delaware teacher recertification requirements.
PLEASE NOTE: The content provided on this page is solely provided for informational purposes and does not exempt users from their responsibility to ensure that our courses meet their state’s continuing education requirements. Please check with your state certification agency for up-to-date policies for teacher certification renewal/continuing education and use our Request Course Approval form if you want to confirm use of one of our courses for your professional development, continuing education, or clock hour requirements.
Online Professional Development & Continuing Education For Delaware Teachers
Model Teaching offers Online & Live Professional Development Courses, as well as online Academic Credit courses provided through our University Partners.
Professional Development Courses
Professional Development Courses
View our Professional Development Course menu. Take our courses live or online for CPE Clock Hours or request information to learn about on-campus, live trainings for your school or district.
Online University-Partnered Academic Credit Courses
View our Online University-Partnered Academic Credit Courses, great for earning Academic Credit for Teacher Re-Certification, Licensure, & Salary Advancement