The Idaho State Department of Education requires Idaho teachers to obtain 6 Professional Development credits every 5 years to maintain teacher certification. Idaho teachers can obtain up to 3 non-university in-service clock hours to help meet this 6 credit-hour requirement. 15 clock hours are equal to 1 in-service hour.
For professional development credits to count towards renewal, The credits must:
- Be related to your professional development as an educator
- Be tied to the content areas for your certification
- Must pertain to the pedagogical best practices of an educator
- At least three semester credits of the total of six professional development credits must be taken via college or university credit courses (see below for more information on Model Teaching University partnered courses)
- You may substitute in-service hours for up to three of the six semester credit hours required for certificate renewal. Use form B7 Inservice (below) to request approval
- You must provide official transcripts upon request to verify credits taken through an accredited college or university.
More About Acceptable Credits (Source: Idaho.gov):
Credits taken for recertification must be educationally related to the individualized professional learning plan (IPLP) or related to the professional practice of the applicant:
- Credits must be specifically tied to content areas and/or an area of any other endorsement; or
- Credits must be specific to pedagogical best practices or for administrative/teacher leadership; or
- Credits must be tied to a specific area of need designated by district administration
- Credits must be taken during the validity period of the certificate. The validity period is listed in parenthesis next to the certificate(s) listed on the credential
Idaho district/charter school/private school in-service hours may be applied toward up to three (3) credits:
- Fifteen (15) contact hours are equivalent to one (1) semester credit hour
- Idaho District In-service form must be completed by the proper official at an Idaho district/charter school/private school for the in-service to count toward certificate renewal
- Idaho district/charter school/private school may approve Continuing Education Units (CEU) using the Idaho District In-service form
Unofficial or official transcripts
- Please include transcripts with your packet in order to expedite your application
- Unofficial transcripts may be used for renewal only
- If transcripts are not included with your packet, please note in your application the method by which you are sending them. Please have them sent two weeks after you mail the application
- Transcripts faxed directly from the university/college may be sent to (208) 334-2228
Three (3) semester credits are equal to four (4) quarter credit hours
Model Teaching offers courses provided through regionally-accredited Humboldt State University and Seattle Pacific University. These institutions are accredited by WASC-ACSCU (The Western Association of Schools & Colleges) and NWCCU (Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities) respectively. Our University-Partnered Courses should be acceptable for Idaho teacher license renewal and Professional Development requirement hours according to The Idaho Department of Education. All courses completed through our academic partners will include access to an official transcript from that academic institution for submission to any license-granting authority.
If you would still like to confirm approval of a course, please use Form B13- Verification of College/University Course Content Approval. The form can be found by visiting the Idaho State DOE.
The Idaho State Department of Education requests approval of course material in order to apply non-university courses towards these clock hours. Use Form B7 (Inservice Form) to request approval of a Model Teaching non-academic partnered Professional Development Course from the Idaho State Department of Education. The form can be found by visiting the Idaho State DOE.
REFERENCE: Idaho State Department of Education
*The information on this page was last updated 3/2019. Please refer to the Idaho State Department of Education web page for the most accurate and current information on Idaho teacher recertification requirements.
PLEASE NOTE: The content provided on this page is solely provided for informational purposes and does not exempt users from their responsibility to ensure that our courses meet their state’s continuing education requirements. Please check with your state certification agency for up-to-date policies for teacher certification renewal/continuing education and use the Idaho DOE request approval form if you want to confirm use of one of our courses for your professional development, continuing education, or clock hour requirements.
Online Professional Development Courses for Idaho Teachers
Model Teaching offers Online & Live Professional Development Courses, as well as online Academic Credit courses provided through our University Partners.
Professional Development Courses
Professional Development Courses
View our Professional Development Course menu. Take our courses live or online for CPE Clock Hours or request information to learn about on-campus, live trainings for your school or district.
Online University-Partnered Academic Credit Courses
View our Online University-Partnered Academic Credit Courses, great for earning Academic Credit for Teacher Re-Certification, Licensure, & Salary Advancement