We recommend that prospective teachers or teachers seeking professional development for recertification or renewal visit the Iowa Department of Education website for more information.
Iowa Teacher Licenses Summary:
Initial License (Source: Iowa Board of Educational Examiners)
“The initial license is granted to new graduates and those from out-of-state with less than three years of experience. It is valid for two years and may be renewed twice. There is no coursework required to renew the initial license other than the mandatory reporter training for child and dependent adult abuse. The second (and final) renewal of an initial license also requires proof of contracted employment that will lead to the standard license.”
Standard License (Source: Iowa Board of Educational Examiners)
“The standard license is valid for five years. To convert from the initial to the standard license, applicants will need to teach for two years on a valid license within their endorsement area(s) in an accredited Iowa public school, or for three years in any combination of public, private or out-of-state accredited schools (or Head Start). Iowa public school teachers will participate in the mentoring and induction program and meet the Iowa teaching standards. Renewal: The standard license renewal requires six renewal credits and the mandatory reporter training for child and dependent adult abuse.”
Master Educator (Source: Iowa Board of Educational Examiners)
The master educator license is valid for five years. To convert from the standard to the master educator license, applicants must have a master’s degree in a recognized endorsement area, or in curriculum, effective teaching, or a similar degree program which has a focus on school curriculum or instruction, five years of teaching experience, and meet the renewal requirements for the standard license (six credits). Renewal: The master educator license renewal requires four renewal credits and the mandatory reporter training for child and dependent adult abuse.”
Acceptable Credits: (Source: Iowa Board of Educational Examiners)
- Credit(s) completed from a regionally accredited institution, which may not lead to a degree but which add greater depth/breadth to present endorsement held.
- Credit(s) completed from a regionally accredited institution, which lead toward the completion of a planned master’s, specialist’s, or doctor’s degree program in an endorsement area.
- Credit(s) completed from a regionally accredited institution, which may not lead to a degree but which lead to completion of requirements for an endorsement not currently held.
- Credit(s) completed through Iowa licensure renewal courses or activities approved through guidelines established by the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners, such as licensure renewal credits through an approved Iowa provider.
- Four credits may be earned for achievement of or the renewal of National Board for Professional Teaching Standards Certification. Please include a copy of the NBCT certificate or NBCT renewal.
- Two credits may be earned through serving as a cooperating teacher. Colleges will issue official reports which must be included. (1) Mentoring a full-semester student teacher (14 or more weeks) is worth one credit. (2) Mentoring a half-semester student teacher (less than 14 weeks) is ½ credit. (3) Mentoring a practicum student or practicum students (early field experience) equivalent to 90 contact hours (hours may be accrued over several semesters) is worth ½ credit, or 180 hours or more is worth one credit.
- One credit may be earned through verification of the successful completion of an individualized professional development plan as verified by the supervising licensed evaluator.
Model Teaching offers courses provided through regionally-accredited Humboldt State University and Seattle Pacific University. These institutions are accredited by WASC-ACSCU (The Western Association of Schools & Colleges) and NWCCU (Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities) respectively. Our University-Partnered Courses should be acceptable for Iowa teacher license renewal and Professional Development requirement hours according to The Iowa Board of Educational Examiners. All courses completed through our academic partners will include access to an official transcript from that academic institution for submission to any license-granting authority.
If you would still like to confirm approval of a course, please complete and email our Request Course Approval form to the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners.
REFERENCE: IowaDepartment of Education
*The information on this page was last updated 3/2019. Please refer to the Iowa Department of Education web page for the most accurate and current information on Iowa teacher re-certification requirements.
PLEASE NOTE: The content provided on this page is solely provided for informational purposes and does not exempt users from their responsibility to ensure that our courses meet their state’s continuing education requirements. Please check with your state certification agency for up-to-date policies for teacher certification renewal/continuing education and use our Request Course Approval form if you want to confirm use of one of our courses for your professional development, continuing education, or clock hour requirements.
Professional Development Courses for Iowa Teachers
Model Teaching offers Online & Live Professional Development Courses, as well as online Academic Credit courses provided through our University Partners.
Professional Development Courses
Professional Development Courses
View our Professional Development Course menu. Take our courses live or online for CPE Clock Hours or request information to learn about on-campus, live trainings for your school or district.
Online University-Partnered Academic Credit Courses
View our Online University-Partnered Academic Credit Courses, great for earning Academic Credit for Teacher Re-Certification, Licensure, & Salary Advancement