Be sure to confirm your specific teaching license renewal requirements with your state or local license-granting authority prior to enrolling.
The Idaho State Department of Education requires Idaho teachers to obtain 6 Professional Development credits every 5 years to maintain teacher certification. Idaho teachers can obtain up to 3 non-university in-service clock hours to help meet this 6 credit-hour requirement. 15 clock hours are equal to 1 in-service hour.
For professional development credits to count towards renewal, The credits must:
- Be related to your professional development as an educator
- Be tied to the content areas for your certification
- Must pertain to the pedagogical best practices of an educator
- At least three semester credits of the total of six professional development credits must be taken via college or university credit courses (see below for more information on Model Teaching University partnered courses)
- You may substitute in-service hours for up to three of the six semester credit hours required for certificate renewal. Use form B7 Inservice (below) to request approval
- You must provide official transcripts upon request to verify credits taken through an accredited college or university.
More About Acceptable Credits (Source: Idaho.gov):
Credits taken for recertification must be educationally related to the individualized professional learning plan (IPLP) or related to the professional practice of the applicant:
- Credits must be specifically tied to content areas and/or an area of any other endorsement; or
- Credits must be specific to pedagogical best practices or for administrative/teacher leadership; or
- Credits must be tied to a specific area of need designated by district administration
- Credits must be taken during the validity period of the certificate. The validity period is listed in parenthesis next to the certificate(s) listed on the credential