Be sure to confirm your specific teaching license renewal requirements with your state or local license-granting authority prior to enrolling.
Nebraska initial teaching certificates are valid for 5 years. To renew, teachers must have recent teaching experience or have completed 6 graduate semester hours in your content area.
According to the Nebraska Department of Education you must:
- “Submit the Verification of Experience Form indicating teaching for one (1) year within the immediate past five (5) years half time (50%) or more in a legally operated school system while holding or qualifying to hold a regular teaching certificate OR
- Have completed six (6) graduate semester hours in education or your content area, within the immediate past five (5) years while holding or qualified to hold a teaching certificate that has not expired or has expired for less than five (5) years OR
- If your teaching certificate has expired more than five (5) years, fifteen (15) specific graduate semester hours in education are required within the immediate past five (5) years. The hours must be recommended for issuance of the teaching certificate by the certification officer of your approved teacher education institution.”
The courses shall include:
- “a course in instructional techniques;
- a practicum consisting of one hundred or more clock hours of contact with students in the classroom setting, fifty percent of which shall consist of performing instructional duties under the supervision of a cooperating teacher,
- a course or courses which address current issues in education, including but not limited to, special education, gifted education, reading and writing in the content area, and school law;
- The remaining course work be directly related to the applicant’s area of endorsement on his or her expired certificate.”
Model Teaching offers courses provided through regionally accredited university partners. These institutions are accredited by several accrediting agencies. Our Academic Credit University-Partnered Courses may meet some of the requirements for Nebraska teacher license renewal and Professional Development requirement hours. All courses completed through our academic partners will include access to an official transcript from that academic institution for submission to any license-granting authority.
If you would like to confirm approval of a course, please feel free to complete and email our Request Course Approval form to the Nebraska Department of Education.
REFERENCE: Nebraska Department of Education