Be sure to confirm your specific teaching license renewal requirements with your state or local license-granting authority prior to enrolling.
The North Carolina State Board of Education requires Teachers renew their Professional Educator’s Continuing license every 5 years. The State Board of Education has different standards and requirements for different subject areas but generally, to renew a Professional Educator’s Continuing License, teachers must earn 8 units of credits
- A unit of renewal credit (CEU) is equal to 10 clock hours of professional development
- 8 units of renewal credit are required to renew both a current and expired CPL
- For a CPL to remain current, all renewal credit must be earned by the expiration date of the license
Activities Accepted for Renewal Credit:
- College or university courses
- Official transcripts are required as documentation; grade reports are not accepted.
- Local in-service courses or workshops
- The administrative unit certifies credits.
- Classes and workshops approved by an LEA
Documentation of completion is provided by the agency sponsoring the activity.
Model Teaching offers courses provided through regionally-accredited university partners. These institutions are accredited by several accrediting agencies. Our Academic Credit University-Partnered Courses meet the requirements for North Carolina teacher license renewal and Professional Development requirement hours according to the North Carolina State Board of Education. All courses completed through our academic partners will include access to an official transcript from that academic institution for submission to any license-granting authority.
If you would still like to confirm approval of a course, please feel free to complete and email our Request Course Approval form to the North Carolina State Board of Education.
REFERENCE: North Carolina State Board of Education