Be sure to confirm your specific teaching license renewal requirements with your state or local license-granting authority prior to enrolling.
In order for West Virginia teachers to renew their teaching certification every 3 years (if an Initial Professional Teaching Certificate) or every 5 years (If a Professional Teaching Certificate). To renew a West Virginia teaching license, teachers must complete 6 hours of college-level credit (degree or non-degree) or have a master’s degree, or meet the age requirement.
Here is a Summary of Options For Teachers to Complete:
- Complete six semester hours of coursework toward a master’s degree in a program related to the public school (college recommendation required)
- Complete six semester hours of coursework related to the improvement of instructions and to your current endorsement area
- Complete six semester hours of coursework needed for additional endorsement (college recommendation required)
- Complete six semester hours of coursework prescribed by the county as a result of an evaluation
- Complete a master’s degree plus 30 hours Salary Classification or greater (six semester hours NOT required)
- Be Age 60 or greater (photocopy of birth certificate required, six semester hours NOT required)
To convert a three-year license you must successfully complete a beginning educator internship, complete six semester hours of coursework, and complete two years of teaching, one of which in West Virginia.
Model Teaching offers courses provided through regionally accredited university partners. These institutions are accredited by several accrediting agencies. Our Academic Credit University-Partnered Academic Credit Courses may meet the requirements for West Virginia teacher license renewal coursework and Professional Development requirement hours according to West Virginia Department of Education. All courses completed through our academic partners will include access to an official transcript from that academic institution for submission to any license-granting authority.
If you would like to confirm approval of a course, please feel free to complete and email our Request Course Approval form to the West Virginia Department of Education.
REFERENCE: Professional Development Courses for West Virginia Teachers