Building Reading & Writing Fluency
(6 Hours) Participants in this course will learn about the importance of direct phonics instruction and hands-on word work, and how this instruction directly helps to develop the reading and writing fluency of their students.
ONLINE COURSE DETAILS
- Price: $30.00
- Credit Type: Professional Development
- Credits: 6 PD Hours
- 12 High-Quality Resources Provided With The Course
Learn How to Implement Phonics, Word Work, & Strategic Grouping to Increase Literacy Skills
Learn New Strategies & Methods to Build Reading/Writing Fluency
Learn How to Group Your Students Appropriately Based on Their Specific Fluency Levels
What You Will Learn:
Participants in this course will learn about the importance of direct phonics instruction and hands-on word work, and how this instruction directly helps to develop the reading and writing fluency of their students. The course will also cover how to group students according to their levels of spelling development, as well as class and time management techniques when having students rotate to various literacy stations. Participants will learn a variety of strategies and literacy stations to implement in their classroom that will increase the reading and writing fluency of their students.
- How to group your students appropriately based on their levels of spelling development.
- A basic overview and skill progression of phonics for all ages, including mare challenging word work strategies for older, fluent readers.
- A variety of strategies that can be implemented at literacy stations for phonics, word work, and sight words.
- Specific activities you can use to directly improve reading and writing fluency.
Course Guiding Question:
Once I have determined how much time I will allot for literacy stations, and grouped my students according to their levels of spelling development, what strategies can I implement at each station in order to improve my students reading and writing fluency?
Professional Development Credits:
At the conclusion of the course, you will receive a certificate for 6 Professional Development Hours (Clock Hours, CPEs, CEUs).
Model Teaching and Action Potential Learning Professional Development Courses are pre-approved in the following states:
- Texas: TEA CPE# 902-391, under parent company Action Potential Learning, LLC
- Montana: Office of Public Instruction (OPI) approved.
If you are a teacher in a different state and wish to use our Professional Development Courses for teacher license renewal, please view our PD STATE REQUIREMENTS PAGE to learn more about your state’s requirements.
Also, consider taking our UNIVERSITY-PARTNERED, ACADEMIC CREDIT COURSES to earn regionally-accredited units or credits, accepted by most states.
Wendy Lipe, Instructor
B.S. Interdisciplinary Studies
Southwest Texas State University
Experience & Credentials:
Over 8 Years of Teaching Experience
Current Elementary-Level Teacher
ESL State Certified (Texas), TAG Certified
Experience with Students with Learning Disabilities
(ADD, ADHD, & Dyslexia)
STATE CERTIFIED TEACHER
Section 1 – Strategic Grouping
Section 2 – Phonics
Section 3 – Word Work
Section 4 – Sight Words
Section 5 – Reading Fluency
Section 6 – Writing Fluency
Section 7 – Putting It All Together
Section 8 – Applying What You Have Learned
Helpful Resources & Templates Included With the Course
The course comes with 12 templates, tools, and graphic organizers ready to be used in your classroom! These include:
- Grouping Students Template
- Phonics Stations Template
- Spelling Menu Board
- Word Sort Template With Examples
- Word Work Stations
- Sight Word & Vocabulary Stations
- Word Bump Game
- Station Rotation Plan
- Effectiveness Rubric
- Reading Fluency Stations
- Writing Fluency Stations
- Writing Across the Disciplines Tool
High-Quality Virtual Presentations
Our high-quality lessons are presented by your instructor in a virtual learning environment that is designed to mirror live, on-campus workshops. Choose to watch or read all lessons at any time and take advantage of our high-quality resources provided for immediate implementation of your new skills.
Access Your Courses Anytime, Anywhere
Courses are accessible to you at any time and are accessible on any computer, tablet, or smart phone. After registration, you will have access to all course lessons, templates, & assignments for one year. Take your courses at your own pace. Pause any time and continue where you left off. You will receive instructor feedback at each step of the course as you progress through the curriculum at your own convenience.
Live Feedback & Communication
Our courses are designed to simulate live instruction. Throughout the course, you will receive feedback from your instructor within 24- 48 hours of your submissions as you proceed through lessons and activities. If you have a question, reach out to your instructor through our built-in messaging system or directly by email or phone.
RegisterBuilding Reading & Writing Fluency
- 365 Days of Course Access
- Full Access to Course Resources – Tools, Graphic Organizers, Templates & Lesson Plans
- Instructor Feedback for Implementation
- Course Completion Certificate Ready to Submit for Clock Hours
Full Menu BundleFull Access Registration to All PD Courses
- 365 Days of User Access to All PD Courses
- Full Access to All Course Resources – Tools, Graphic Organizers, Templates & Lesson Plans
- Instructor Feedback for Implementation
- Course Completion Certificates For All Courses Taken, Ready to Submit for Clock Hours