Choosing the right assessments for your students - HSU Course
In this University-Partnered Academic-Credit course provided through Humboldt State University, you will learn new strategies for implementing assessments into the classroom and explore a variety of topics to help you use assessments effectively in the student learning process. Each assessment type and assessment item will be described in detail, and you will learn to align the appropriate assessment item to each objective and task based on the level of rigor required for students to show mastery of an idea. You will be able to construct targeted and effective diagnostic, formative, and summative assessments, in addition to building clear criteria for rubrics to better assess, track, and support your students. Through activities, templates, and reference guides, you will build a strategic assessment plan for an upcoming lesson cycle that is aligned to student expectations, targeted, and measurable. You will apply fresh new ideas to developing your assessments in the classroom and will learn to better impact and improve student progress for your entire class.
Throughout the course you will examine the four types of assessment used to increase student learning, analyze most common assessment items, align objectives with each assessment component, and develop assessments that meets the needs of all learners. You’ll also build a resource to help you better implement assessments into your classroom and analyze a research article to understand how real research connects to your classroom.
This course will provide you with the tools to build more effective and targeted assessments to not only help you understand student progress but to actually increase student learning.
ONLINE COURSE DETAILS
- Price: $115.00
- Credit Type: Academic Credit / Licensure
- Credits: 1 Unit Credit, Humboldt State University
- HSU Subject & Catalog: EDUC x701
- Class Number: 27315
- 15 High-Quality Resources Provided With The Course
*Pricing includes Model Teaching’s course fee of $65 & Humboldt State University’s academic credit fee of $50. You will only be charged $65 at registration.
Learn The Importance, Purpose, & Effective Implementation of Assessments in the Classroom
Learn The Main Types of Assessments & How to Create Objective-Aligned Assessments to Enhance Student Learning
Learn How to Develop Highly Effective Assessments & Rubrics
Participants Will Be Able To:
- Examine the four types of assessments used to measure and increase student learning
- Analyze the three types of assessment items found on most assessments
- Analyze assessment items and their corresponding objectives and align the assessment components with each objective
- Develop assessments that meet the needs of all learners
- Compose targeted supplemental resources to ensure action plan implementation into the classroom
- Analyze and defend research articles covering the main topics within the course, to reflect on the research’s impact in the classroom
- Plan, reflect, and report on implementation progress using a Classroom Implementation Plan
Course Guiding Question:
How do you design assessments that align with expectations and generate the evidence you will need to determine student mastery?
Professional Development Credits: 1 Credit Unit
This course falls under Humboldt State University’s 700-799 numbering system, for the purposes of credential/licensure designed primarily for electives or professional development/salary advancement purposes. At the conclusion of the course, Model Teaching will review your submitted content and send the results to Humboldt State University. This course is for 1 Credit Unit and requires a minimum passage grade of 80%. Model Teaching is an accredited partner with Humboldt State University. Upon course completion, you will receive a certificate of completion from Model Teaching, along with instructions to submit to Humboldt State University to receive your academic units.
Please view our PD STATE REQUIREMENTS PAGE to learn more about your state’s requirements.
Our UNIVERSITY-PARTNERED, ACADEMIC CREDIT COURSES, such as this course, allow you to earn regionally-accredited units or credits, accepted by most states for teacher re-certification requirements.
Shayna Pond, Instructor
M.S. Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Baylor College of Medicine
Louisiana State University
Experience & Credentials:
Over 10 Years of Teaching or Tutoring Experience
Former Assistant Principal
Former Lead Teacher
President of Action Potential Learning
STATE CERTIFIED TEACHER
Download the Syllabus
Receive a copy of the course syllabus by submitting the form below. Once submitted, we automatically email you a copy. The syllabus contains detailed and important information on the structure and core content of the course as well as grading.
Helpful Resources & Templates Included With the Course
The course comes with 15 templates, tools, and graphic organizers ready to be used in your classroom! These include:
- Types of Assessments Quick Reference Guide
- Diagnostic Assessment Tool
- Diagnostic Assessment Tool-Example
- Weekly Student Feedback Recording Tools
- Unit Planner
- Weekly Formative Assessment Template
- Diagnostic Assessments Template
- Unit Assessments Overview Plan
- Summative Assessment Matrix
- Supplemental Resource Design Template
- Types of Questions Quick Reference Guide
- Assessment Alignment Chart
- Rubric Sample Template
- Effectiveness Rubric
- Research Article Analysis Template
High-Quality Virtual Presentations
Our high-quality lessons are presented by your instructor in a virtual learning environment that is designed to mirror live, on-campus workshops. Choose to watch or read all lessons at any time and take advantage of our high-quality resources provided for immediate implementation of your new skills.
Access Your Courses Anytime, Anywhere
Courses are accessible to you at any time and are accessible on any computer, tablet, or smart phone. After registration, you will have access to all course lessons, templates, & assignments for one year. Take your courses at your own pace. Pause any time and continue where you left off. You will receive instructor feedback at each step of the course as you progress through the curriculum at your own convenience.
Live Feedback & Communication
Our courses are designed to simulate live instruction. Throughout the course, you will receive feedback from your instructor within 24- 48 hours of your submissions as you proceed through lessons and activities. If you have a question, reach out to your instructor through our built-in messaging system or directly by email or phone.
RegisterChoosing The Right Assessments For Your Students-HSU Course
- 365 Days of Course Access
- Full Access to Course Resources – Tools, Graphic Organizers, Templates & Lesson Plans
- Instructor Feedback for Implementation
- Course Completion Notification Sent to HSU Upon Passing the Course. You May Then Request Your Academic Credit from HSU
- * This pricing includes Model Teaching’s course fee of $65 & Humboldt State University’s academic credit fee of $50. You will only be charged $65 at registration. You may request your credits from HSU at the conclusion of the course & pay $50 to receive your academic credit.