Expository Writing & Embedded Grammar Instruction (4th-8th Grades)
(9 Hours) Participants in this course will learn strategies to teach expository writing for 4th through 8th grade students. The training will cover the entire writing process, from analyzing a prompt and creating a plan, to writing a first draft, as well as editing and revising. Participants will be provided with a variety of resources to help them plan a two week expository writing unit that includes specific revising mini-lessons, as well as how to implement embedded grammar instruction. Finally, this course will also discuss how to assess students’ writing, and how to use the data collected to drive future instruction.
ONLINE COURSE DETAILS
- Price: $30.00
- Credit Type: Professional Development
- Credits: 9 PD Hours
- 18 High-Quality Resources Provided With The Course
Learn About The 5 Main Expository Essay Structures
Learn How to Help Your Students Plan a Well-Crafted Essay
Learn a Variety of Mini-Lessons to Help Improve Your Students’ Writing
What You Will Learn In This Course:
- Five different expository essay structures, and how to help your students plan a well-crafted essay
- A variety of mini-lessons you can teach your class to improve your students’ writing skills, including lessons specifically for revising and editing, as well as how to teach grammar authentically
- How to conduct effective individual writing conferences
- How to assess expository essays, and how to use that data to drive your instruction
Course Guiding Question:
How can I prepare my upper elementary or middle school students to write well organized and grammatically correct expository essays?
Professional Development Credits:
At the conclusion of the course, you will receive a certificate for 9 Professional Development Hours (Clock Hours, CPEs, CEUs).
Model Teaching Professional Development Courses are pre-approved in many states and we provide easy approval forms to submit to your license granting authority if required.
If you are a teacher seeking license renewal and wish to verify acceptance of our Professional Development Courses, please view our PD STATE REQUIREMENTS PAGE to learn more about your state’s requirements.
Also, consider taking our UNIVERSITY-PARTNERED, ACADEMIC CREDIT COURSES to earn regionally-accredited units or credits, accepted by most states for teacher re-licensing and salary advancement.
Wendy Lipe, Instructor
B.S. Interdisciplinary Studies
Southwest Texas State University
Experience & Credentials:
Over 8 Years of Teaching Experience
Current Elementary-Level Teacher
ESL State Certified (Texas), TAG Certified
Experience with Students with Learnign Disabilities
(ADD, ADHD, & Dyslexia)
STATE CERTIFIED TEACHER
Really loved this course!
This course gave me everything I needed, from resources, to great example lesson plans to teach my students expository writing techniques. I was struggling with this at first, but now Im really confident! I would definitely recommend this to teachers who need to improve their students’ essay and expository writing!
Section 1 – The Writing Process
Section 2 – The Planning & Drafting Stage
Section 3 – Writing Mini-Lessons
Section 4 – Conferences
Section 5 – Revisions
Section 6 – Embedded Grammar
Section 7 – Editing
Section 8 – Assessment
Section 9 – Putting It All Together
Section 10 – Applying What You Have Learned
Helpful Resources & Templates Included With the Course
The course comes with 18 templates, tools, and graphic organizers ready to be used in your classroom! These include:
- Expository Structures Anchor Chart
- Descriptive Essay Organizer
- Compare/Contrast Essay Organizer
- Cause/Effect Essay Organizer
- Problem/Solution Essay Organizer
- Sequential Essay Organizer
- Mini-Lesson Planning Template
- Writing Prompt Template
- Types of Leads Anchor Chart
- Conference Notes For Individual Students Tool
- Conference Notes Class List Tool
- Peer Revising Checklist
- Peer Editing Checklist
- Expository Essay Rubric
- Expository Unit Plan
- Conference Scheduling Planning Template
- Mentor Sentence Planning Template
- Effectiveness Checklist
High-Quality Virtual Presentations
Our high-quality lessons are presented by your instructor in a virtual learning environment that is designed to mirror live, on-campus workshops. Choose to watch or read all lessons at any time and take advantage of our high-quality resources provided for immediate implementation of your new skills.
Access Your Courses Anytime, Anywhere
Courses are accessible to you at any time and are accessible on any computer, tablet, or smart phone. After registration, you will have access to all course lessons, templates, & assignments for one year. Take your courses at your own pace. Pause any time and continue where you left off. You will receive instructor feedback at each step of the course as you progress through the curriculum at your own convenience.
Live Feedback & Communication
Our courses are designed to simulate live instruction. Throughout the course, you will receive feedback from your instructor within 24- 48 hours of your submissions as you proceed through lessons and activities. If you have a question, reach out to your instructor through our built-in messaging system or directly by email or phone.
RegisterExpository Writing & Embedded Grammar Instruction
- 365 Days of Course Access
- Full Access to Course Resources – Tools, Graphic Organizers, Templates & Lesson Plans
- Instructor Feedback for Implementation
- Course Completion Certificate Ready to Submit for Clock Hours