Strategies to Check for Understanding
(7 Hours) This course will teach participants the value of incorporating frequent checks for understanding into their lesson plans. They will learn about three types of checks, including verbal, written and demonstration, as well as learn when they need to be incorporated into a lesson cycle. Course participants will also learn the value of collecting data from these checks, and how to use that data to inform future instructional decisions.
ONLINE COURSE DETAILS
- Price: $30.00
- Credit Type: Professional Development
- Credits: 7 PD Hours
- 19 High-Quality Resources Provided With The Course, including a 76-page CFU Strategy Guide
The Purpose & Advantage of Using CFU Strategies to Improve Instruction
A Step-By-Step Guide & Activities to Incorporate CFU Strategies Into Every Lesson Plan
How to Use CFU Strategies to Gather Data & Inform Instructional Decisions
What You Will Learn:
- Checking for Understanding activities need to be incorporated before teaching new content, during the actual lesson, and at the end of the lesson.
- Checking for Understanding activities can be verbal, written, or consist of a student demonstration.
- Checking for Understanding activities may be closed, in which there is one correct answer, or more open-ended where students responses will vary and require higher level thinking skills.
- The main purpose of any Checking for Understanding is to provide data for the teacher to analyze as he/she makes future instructional decisions.
Course Guiding Question:
When and how should I incorporate checks for understanding into my daily lesson plans in order to ensure student success?
Professional Development Credits:
At the conclusion of the course, you will receive a certificate for 7 Professional Development Hours (Clock Hours, CPEs, CEUs).
Model Teaching and Action Potential Learning Professional Development Courses are pre-approved in the following states:
- Texas: TEA CPE# 902-391, under parent company Action Potential Learning, LLC
- Montana: Office of Public Instruction (OPI) approved
- New York State: CTLE# 23730
If you are a teacher in a different state and wish to use our Professional Development Courses for teacher license renewal, please view our PD STATE REQUIREMENTS PAGE to learn more about your state’s requirements.
Also, consider taking our UNIVERSITY-PARTNERED, ACADEMIC CREDIT COURSES to earn regionally-accredited units or credits, accepted by most states.
Wendy Lipe, Instructor
B.S. Interdisciplinary Studies
Southwest Texas State University
Experience & Credentials:
Over 9 Years of Teaching Experience
Current Elementary-Level Teacher
ESL State Certified (Texas), TAG Certified
Experience with Students with Learning Disabilities
(ADD, ADHD, & Dyslexia)
STATE CERTIFIED TEACHER
Section 1 – An Introduction to Checking for Understanding
- What “Checking for Understanding” (CFU) is and why it is used
- Three general strategies to use when checking for understanding
- How to create CFU activities with assessments and data in mind
Section 2 – CFU Before Instruction
- The purpose of CFUs before instruction
- How to develop aligned and impactful checks for understanding before instruction
- Using data to inform instruction
Section 3 – CFU During Instruction
- The purpose of CFUs during instruction
- How to develop aligned and impactful checks for understanding during instruction
- The importance of using data to correct misconceptions as soon as they occur
Section 4 – CFU After Instruction
- The importance of CFUs after instruction
- How to develop aligned and impactful checks for understanding to use after instruction
- The importance of using data to ensure student content mastery
Section 5 – CFU in Action
- Analyze the components of a lesson that uses multiple methods to check for student understanding
Helpful Resources & Templates Included With the Course
The course comes with 19 templates, tools, and graphic organizers ready to be used in your classroom! These include:
- CFU Strategy Guide
- Before Instruction CFU Planning Worksheet
- Before Instruction CFU Planning Worksheet-SAMPLE
- Prior Knowledge Data Tracker
- Prior Knowledge Data Tracker-SAMPLE
- During Instruction CFU Planning Worksheet
- During Instruction CFU Planning Worksheet-SAMPLE
- New Knowledge Data Tracker
- New Knowledge Data Tracker-SAMPLE
- After Instruction CFU Planning Worksheet
- After Instruction CFU Planning Worksheet-SAMPLE
- Content Mastery Data Tracker
- Content Mastery Data Tracker-SAMPLE
- CFU Lesson Plan-Scenario Sample
- CFU Lesson Plan Template
- CFU Lesson Plan Template-SAMPLE
- Effectiveness Rubric
- Implementation Observation Checklist
- Implementation Observation Checklist-SAMPLE
Included In The Course: Checking for Understanding Strategy Guide
Included in this course is our Checking for Understanding Strategy Guide: Example Activities & Strategies to Check Student Understanding in an Effective Classroom.
In this 76-page guide you will receive sample strategies that can be used in any classroom to check for student understanding. The strategies are broken down into three categories: verbal, written, and demonstration. We give an overview (with examples) of 32 different checks for understanding teachers can use to evaluate student understanding and growth before, during, and after lessons. Register for the course to receive this resource and more!
High-Quality Virtual Presentations
Our high-quality lessons are presented by your instructor in a virtual learning environment that is designed to mirror live, on-campus workshops. Choose to watch or read all lessons at any time and take advantage of our high-quality resources provided for immediate implementation of your new skills.
Access Your Courses Anytime, Anywhere
Courses are accessible to you at any time and are accessible on any computer, tablet, or smart phone. After registration, you will have access to all course lessons, templates, & assignments for one year. Take your courses at your own pace. Pause any time and continue where you left off. You will receive instructor feedback at each step of the course as you progress through the curriculum at your own convenience.
Live Feedback & Communication
Our courses are designed to simulate live instruction. Throughout the course, you will receive feedback from your instructor within 24- 48 hours of your submissions as you proceed through lessons and activities. If you have a question, reach out to your instructor through our built-in messaging system or directly by email or phone.
RegisterStrategies to Check for Understanding
- 365 Days of Course Access
- Full Access to Course Resources – Tools, Graphic Organizers, Templates & Lesson Plans
- Instructor Feedback for Implementation
- Course Completion Certificate Ready to Submit for Clock Hours
Full Menu BundleFull Access Registration to All PD Courses
- 365 Days of User Access to All PD Courses
- Full Access to All Course Resources – Tools, Graphic Organizers, Templates & Lesson Plans
- Instructor Feedback for Implementation
- Course Completion Certificates For All Courses Taken, Ready to Submit for Clock Hours
How Our Courses Work:
Be the first to leave a review.