Supporting Reading Instruction for Middle School Learners
(7 Hours) Participants in this course will be exposed to a variety of methods to determine middle school-level student’s reading level, with the focus on Fountas and Pinnell’s Benchmark Assessment System, and their accompanying guide to reading behaviors. The training will provide specific ideas for mini-lessons, classroom activities, graphic organizers and anchor charts that will allow teachers to provide instruction for their students in order to help them progress to higher reading levels.
ONLINE COURSE DETAILS
- Price: $15.00
- Credit Type: Professional Development
- Credits: 7 PD Hours
- 24 High-Quality Resources Provided With The Course
Learn How to Analyze Reading Behaviors & Determine Your Students’ Reading Levels
Use the Provided Mini-Lesson Templates, Graphic Organizers, Anchor Charts, & Classroom Activities to Support Effective Middle School Reading Instruction in Your Classroom
Learn How to Use Student Grouping Strategies & Activities to Help Build Student Literacy
What You Will Learn In This Course:
Participants in this course will be exposed to a variety of methods to determine a student’s reading level, with the focus on Fountas and Pinnell’s Benchmark Assessment System, and their accompanying guide to reading behaviors. The training will provide specific ideas for mini-lessons, classroom activities, graphic organizers and anchor charts that will allow teachers to provide instruction for their students in order to help them progress to higher reading levels.
- A variety of methods to determine a middle school-level student’s reading level
- How to choose specific reading behaviors on which to focus your instruction
- A variety of strategies including mini-lessons, graphic organizers, anchor charts, and group activities to support your reading instruction
Course Guiding Question:
After determining the reading level of my students, how can I choose specific skills to teach, and what strategies can I use within my reading instruction to see a progression of reading skills?
Professional Development Credits:
At the conclusion of the course, you will receive a certificate for 7 Professional Development Hours (Clock Hours, CPEs, CEUs).
Model Teaching Professional Development Courses are pre-approved in many states and we provide easy approval forms to submit to your license granting authority if required.
If you are a teacher seeking license renewal and wish to verify acceptance of our Professional Development Courses, please view our PD STATE REQUIREMENTS PAGE to learn more about your state’s requirements.
Also, consider taking our UNIVERSITY-PARTNERED, ACADEMIC CREDIT COURSES to earn regionally-accredited units or credits, accepted by most states for teacher re-licensing and salary advancement.
Wendy Lipe, Instructor
B.S. Interdisciplinary Studies
Southwest Texas State University
Experience & Credentials:
Over 8 Years of Teaching Experience
Current Elementary-Level Teacher
ESL State Certified (Texas), TAG Certified
Experience with Students with Learning Disabilities
(ADD, ADHD, & Dyslexia)
STATE CERTIFIED TEACHER
This course was great. I needed extra strategies on assessing my students’ reading levels and how to provide more differentiated lessons to my different student groups. The course organization was clear and effective and I was able to come away knowing exactly what to do and the resources to implement what I learned. I loved the course!
Section 1 – Understanding Reading Behaviors
Section 2 – Reading Behavior Progression & Choosing a Focus Behavior
Section 3 – Reading Behaviors Within The Text
Section 4 – Reading Behaviors Beyond The Text
Section 5 – Putting It All Together
Section 6 – Applying What You Have Learned
Helpful Resources & Templates Included With the Course
The course comes with 24 templates, tools, and graphic organizers ready to be used in your classroom! These include:
- 5 W’s and How Summary Tool
- Beginning, Middle, & End Summary Tool
- Cause & Effect Graphic Tool
- Cause & Effect Graphic Tool-Multiple Effects
- Cause & Effect Graphic Tool-Multiple Causes
- Fountas & Pinnell Reading Behaviors
- Genre Anchor Chart
- Head, Heart, Hands, & Feet Graphic Tool
- Inferencing Graphic Organizer
- Inferencing Organizer Tool
- KWL Chart Tool
- Lexile Conversion Chart
- Making Predictions Grade 3-5 Organizer
- Making Predictions Grade K-2 Organizer
- Non-Fiction Text Features Anchor Chart
- Problem-Solution Graphic Organizer Tool
- Question Claim Reasoning Evidence Graphic Organizer
- Reading Behaviors Mini Lesson Outline
- Sequencing Graphic Organizer
- Small Group Growth Plan Template
- Someone Wanted But So Summary Tool
- Student Reading Behaviors Outline
- Student Growth Plan Template
- Text Making Connections Graphic Tool
High-Quality Virtual Presentations
Our high-quality lessons are presented by your instructor in a virtual learning environment that is designed to mirror live, on-campus workshops. Choose to watch or read all lessons at any time and take advantage of our high-quality resources provided for immediate implementation of your new skills.
Access Your Courses Anytime, Anywhere
Courses are accessible to you at any time and are accessible on any computer, tablet, or smart phone. After registration, you will have access to all course lessons, templates, & assignments for one year. Take your courses at your own pace. Pause any time and continue where you left off. You will receive instructor feedback at each step of the course as you progress through the curriculum at your own convenience.
Live Feedback & Communication
Our courses are designed to simulate live instruction. Throughout the course, you will receive feedback from your instructor within 24- 48 hours of your submissions as you proceed through lessons and activities. If you have a question, reach out to your instructor through our built-in messaging system or directly by email or phone.
RegisterSupporting Reading Instruction for Middle School Learners
- 365 Days of Course Access
- Full Access to Course Resources – Tools, Graphic Organizers, Templates & Lesson Plans
- Instructor Feedback for Implementation
- Course Completion Certificate Ready to Submit for Clock Hours