Checking For Understanding & Correcting Misconceptions in Elementary Math
(6 Hours) This course will teach participants how to establish a classroom culture that is conducive to learning and sharing. They will also learn a variety of ways to check their students’ understanding of elementary math content, so they are able to assess the effectiveness of their teaching. Participants will also be able to recognize twelve of the most common math misconceptions, and will be ready to correct those misconceptions through a variety of instructional strategies taught in this course.
ONLINE COURSE DETAILS
- Price: $15.00
- Credit Type: Professional Development
- Credits: 6 PD Hours
- 9 High-Quality Resources Provided With The Course
Learn How to Establish a Productive Classroom Culture, Community, & Growth Mindset In Your Students
Learn How to Check For Understanding, Identify, & Correct Common Math Misconceptions
Learn How to Intervene & Re-teach Critical Math Concepts Based on Identified Math Misconceptions
What You Will Learn:
Participants in this course will learn a variety of new skills including how to establish a productive classroom culture, community and growth mindset, how to check for student understanding based on both formal and informal data collection, and how to identify and correct common math misconceptions. This course provides you with a clear structure to follow when designing and executing lessons with student understanding and support in mind. Concepts featured in this course are targeted to kindergarten through sixth grade classrooms. For future teachers or new teachers, this course is ideal for you to develop a clear plan of action for designing your lessons with monitoring student understanding in mind. For experienced teachers, this course helps you evaluate your current teaching practices to make refinements and improvements in learning and culture within your math classroom.
Specifically, you will learn:
- How to establish a classroom culture in which it is acceptable to make mistakes, and learn from them
- Numerous strategies on how to check for understanding using both formal and informal assessment methods
- A basic overview of the 12 most common elementary math misconceptions students make and a variety of ways to correct those types of math misconceptions
- How to establish an execute an intervention strategy to fill gaps in understanding and correct misconceptions
- How to evaluate your idea on classroom culture using our evaluation tool
- Strategies to check for understanding, design interventions, and plan for misconceptions that may occur in the lesson
- How to build a lesson plan with class culture, student understanding, and misconceptions in mind
Course Guiding Question:
How can I monitor the level of understanding in my students, predict misconceptions they may have in my planning, and build an action plan for addressing misconceptions and re-teaching concepts so that all of my elementary students can be successful in math?
Professional Development Credits:
At the conclusion of the course, you will receive a certificate for 6 Professional Development Hours (Clock Hours, CPEs, CEUs).
Model Teaching Professional Development Courses are pre-approved in many states and we provide easy approval forms to submit to your license granting authority if required.
If you are a teacher seeking license renewal and wish to verify acceptance of our Professional Development Courses, please view our PD STATE REQUIREMENTS PAGE to learn more about your state’s requirements.
Also, consider taking our UNIVERSITY-PARTNERED, ACADEMIC CREDIT COURSES to earn regionally-accredited units or credits, accepted by most states for teacher re-licensing and salary advancement.
Wendy Lipe, Instructor
B.S. Interdisciplinary Studies
Southwest Texas State University
Experience & Credentials:
Over 8 Years of Teaching Experience
Current Elementary-Level Teacher
ESL State Certified (Texas), TAG Certified
Experience with Students with Learning Disabilities
(ADD, ADHD, & Dyslexia)
STATE CERTIFIED TEACHER
Loved this course!
We have some state testing coming up and I’m so excited to try some of these checking for understanding strategies for our review! I have a much better idea of how I can re-teach concepts that I know students will be struggling with, and I have a good plan for how to keep track of what my students know!
Section 1 – Establishing a Math Community
- Analyze components of classroom culture that help establish a strong classroom community, then reflect on an area of growth you would like to consider for yourself in a future classroom
Section 2 – Checking for Understanding
- Learn 12 check for understanding methods and when each are best used in the classroom, then reflect on several methods appropriate for your current or future class and grade level
Section 3 – Interventions
- Analyze three intervention methods to re-teach class content, then reflect on how you’d re-teach a concept specific to your grade level
Section 4 – Common Math Misconceptions
- Review the common misconceptions in elementary math and reflect on misconceptions your own students would experience at your grade level
Section 5 – Putting It All Together
- Using the sample provided, plan for how you would build a math plan for a standard at your grade level that address student misconceptions and tracks student understanding
Section 6 – Applying What You Have Learned
- Get ideas and a checklist for implementing these ideas into the classroom, analyze research that supports evidence- based concepts in this course, and access additional resources and websites to help you further your learning.
Helpful Resources & Templates Included With the Course
The course comes with 9 templates, tools, and graphic organizers ready to be used in your classroom! These include:
- Check for Understanding Strategy Guide
- Classroom Culture Evaluation Tool
- Correcting Elementary Math Misconceptions Strategy Guide
- Effectiveness Checklist
- Intervention Plan Template
- Math Check for Understanding & Intervention Plan Template and Sample
- Implementation Observation Checklist and Sample
High-Quality Virtual Presentations
Our high-quality lessons are presented by your instructor in a virtual learning environment that is designed to mirror live, on-campus workshops. Choose to watch or read all lessons at any time and take advantage of our high-quality resources provided for immediate implementation of your new skills.
Access Your Courses Anytime, Anywhere
Courses are accessible to you at any time and are accessible on any computer, tablet, or smart phone. After registration, you will have access to all course lessons, templates, & assignments for one year. Take your courses at your own pace. Pause any time and continue where you left off. You will receive instructor feedback at each step of the course as you progress through the curriculum at your own convenience.
Live Feedback & Communication
Our courses are designed to simulate live instruction. Throughout the course, you will receive feedback from your instructor within 24- 48 hours of your submissions as you proceed through lessons and activities. If you have a question, reach out to your instructor through our built-in messaging system or directly by email or phone.