Checking For Understanding & Correcting Misconceptions in Elementary Math
(5 Hours) This course will teach participants how to establish a classroom culture that is conducive to learning and sharing. They will also learn a variety of ways to check their students’ understanding of elementary math content, so they are able to assess the effectiveness of their teaching. Participants will also be able to recognize twelve of the most common math misconceptions, and will be ready to correct those misconceptions through a variety of instructional strategies taught in this course.
ONLINE COURSE DETAILS
- Price: $15.00
- Credit Type: Professional Development
- Credits: 5 PD Hours
- 6 High-Quality Resources Provided With The Course
Learn How to Establish a Productive Classroom Culture, Community, & Growth Mindset In Your Students
Learn How to Check For Understanding, Identify, & Correct Common Math Misconceptions
Learn How to Intervene & Re-teach Critical Math Concepts Based on Identified Math Misconceptions
What You Will Learn:
Participants in this course will learn a variety of new skills including how to establish a productive classroom culture, community and growth mindset, how to check for student understanding based on both formal and informal data collection, and how to identify and correct common math misconceptions. Specifically, students will learn:
- How to establish a classroom culture in which it is acceptable to make mistakes, and learn from them
- Numerous strategies on how to check for understanding using both formal and informal assessment methods
- A basic overview of the 12 most common elementary math misconceptions students make and a variety of ways to correct those types of math misconceptions
- How to establish an execute an intervention strategy to fill gaps in understanding and correct misconceptions
Course Guiding Question:
Once I have recognized math misconceptions in my students, or observe a lack of understanding of any particular skills, what strategies can I implement to correct those misconceptions and improve my students’ content knowledge?
Professional Development Credits:
At the conclusion of the course, you will receive a certificate for 5 Professional Development Hours (Clock Hours, CPEs, CEUs).
Model Teaching and Action Potential Learning Professional Development Courses are pre-approved in the following states:
- Texas: TEA CPE# 902-391, under parent company Action Potential Learning, LLC
- Montana: Office of Public Instruction (OPI) approved.
If you are a teacher in a different state and wish to use our Professional Development Courses for teacher license renewal, please view our PD STATE REQUIREMENTS PAGE to learn more about your state’s requirements.
Also, consider taking our UNIVERSITY-PARTNERED, ACADEMIC CREDIT COURSES to earn regionally-accredited units or credits, accepted by most states.
Wendy Lipe, Instructor
B.S. Interdisciplinary Studies
Southwest Texas State University
Experience & Credentials:
Over 8 Years of Teaching Experience
Current Elementary-Level Teacher
ESL State Certified (Texas), TAG Certified
Experience with Students with Learning Disabilities
(ADD, ADHD, & Dyslexia)
STATE CERTIFIED TEACHER
Section 1 – Establishing a Math Community
Section 2 – Checking for Understanding
Section 3 – Interventions
Section 4 – Common Math Misconceptions
Section 5 – Putting It All Together
Section 6 – Applying What You Have Learned
Helpful Resources & Templates Included With the Course
The course comes with 6 templates, tools, and graphic organizers ready to be used in your classroom! These include:
- Check For Understanding Strategy Guide
- Classroom Culture Evaluation Tool
- Correcting Elementary Math Misconceptions Strategy Guide
- Effectiveness Checklist
- Intervention Plan Template
- Math Check For Understanding & Intervention Plan Template
High-Quality Virtual Presentations
Our high-quality lessons are presented by your instructor in a virtual learning environment that is designed to mirror live, on-campus workshops. Choose to watch or read all lessons at any time and take advantage of our high-quality resources provided for immediate implementation of your new skills.
Access Your Courses Anytime, Anywhere
Courses are accessible to you at any time and are accessible on any computer, tablet, or smart phone. After registration, you will have access to all course lessons, templates, & assignments for one year. Take your courses at your own pace. Pause any time and continue where you left off. You will receive instructor feedback at each step of the course as you progress through the curriculum at your own convenience.
Live Feedback & Communication
Our courses are designed to simulate live instruction. Throughout the course, you will receive feedback from your instructor within 24- 48 hours of your submissions as you proceed through lessons and activities. If you have a question, reach out to your instructor through our built-in messaging system or directly by email or phone.
RegisterChecking For Understanding & Correcting Misconceptions in Elementary Math
- 365 Days of Course Access
- Full Access to Course Resources – Tools, Graphic Organizers, Templates & Lesson Plans
- Instructor Feedback for Implementation
- Course Completion Certificate Ready to Submit for Clock Hours
Full Menu BundleFull Access Registration to All PD Courses
- 365 Days of User Access to All PD Courses
- Full Access to All Course Resources – Tools, Graphic Organizers, Templates & Lesson Plans
- Instructor Feedback for Implementation
- Course Completion Certificates For All Courses Taken, Ready to Submit for Clock Hours