Choosing The Right Assessments For Your Students
(11 Hours) Assessment and assessing students is a key component of all effective educational programs, and often a critical component to student learning. While it is often equated with a traditional test given at the end of a unit, assessments and their importance goes well beyond that. This training is the second in a series of three that will go through the three stages of planning using the backwards design method. In this course we will be looking at the second stage of this process -assessments, with a focus on helping teachers choose the right assessments for their students.
ONLINE COURSE DETAILS
- Price: $30.00
- Credit Type: Professional Development
- Credits: 11 PD Hours
- 10 High-Quality Resources Provided With The Course
Learn The Importance, Purpose, & Effective Implementation of Assessments in the Classroom
Learn The Main Types of Assessments & How to Create Objective-Aligned Assessments to Enhance Student Learning
Learn How to Develop Highly Effective Assessments & Rubrics
What You Will Learn In This Course:
Participants in this course will learn new strategies for implementing assessments in their classroom, and explore a variety of topics to help them use assessments effectively in the student learning process including:
- The four types of assessments used to measure and increase student learning
- The three types of assessment items found on most assessments
- How to align the assessment and it’s components with your learning objectives
- How to write a summative assessment that meets the needs of all learners
- When to use a scoring rubric in the classroom and how to develop your own rubrics
Course Guiding Question:
How do you design assessments that align with expectations and generate the evidence you will need to determine student mastery?
Professional Development Credits:
At the conclusion of the course, you will receive a certificate for 11 Professional Development Hours (Clock Hours, CPEs, CEUs).
Model Teaching and Action Potential Learning Professional Development Courses are pre-approved in the following states:
- Texas: TEA CPE# 902-391, under parent company Action Potential Learning, LLC
- Montana: Office of Public Instruction (OPI) approved.
- New York State: CTLE# 23730
If you are a teacher in a different state and wish to use our Professional Development Courses for teacher license renewal, please view our PD STATE REQUIREMENTS PAGE to learn more about your state’s requirements.
Also, consider taking our UNIVERSITY-PARTNERED, ACADEMIC CREDIT COURSES to earn regionally-accredited units or credits, accepted by most states.
Natalie Brown, Instructor
University of North Texas
Experience & Credentials:
Over 18 Years of Teaching Experience
GT, Board Certified, Principal Certification (Texas)
STATE CERTIFIED TEACHER
Section 1 – The Importance and Purpose of Assessments
Section 2 – Types of Assessments and Student Feedback
- Diagnostic Assessments
- Formative Assessments
- Summative Assessments
- Interim/Benchmark Assessments
Section 3 – Question Types and Alignment
- Intro to Bloom’s Taxonomy
- The Three Main Types of Questions Used in Assessments
- Matching Your Assessments to Your Learning Objectives
Section 4 – Assessment Writing & Using a Rubric
- How to Write a Summative Assessments
- When to Use a Scoring Rubric, and How Build Your Own
Section 5 – The Role of Assessments in the Learning Process
Section 6 – Putting It All Together
Section 7 – Applying What You Have Learned
Helpful Resources & Templates Included With the Course
The course comes with 10 templates, tools, and graphic organizers ready to be used in your classroom! These include:
- Types of Assessments Quick Reference Guide
- Diagnostic Assessment Tool
- Diagnostic Assessment Tool-Example
- Weekly Student Feedback Recording Tools
- Weekly Formative Assessment Template
- Summative Assessment Matrix
- Types of Questions Quick Reference Guide
- Assessment Alignment Chart
- Sample Rubric Template
- Effectiveness Rubric
High-Quality Virtual Presentations
Our high-quality lessons are presented by your instructor in a virtual learning environment that is designed to mirror live, on-campus workshops. Choose to watch or read all lessons at any time and take advantage of our high-quality resources provided for immediate implementation of your new skills.
Access Your Courses Anytime, Anywhere
Courses are accessible to you at any time and are accessible on any computer, tablet, or smart phone. After registration, you will have access to all course lessons, templates, & assignments for one year. Take your courses at your own pace. Pause any time and continue where you left off. You will receive instructor feedback at each step of the course as you progress through the curriculum at your own convenience.
Live Feedback & Communication
Our courses are designed to simulate live instruction. Throughout the course, you will receive feedback from your instructor within 24- 48 hours of your submissions as you proceed through lessons and activities. If you have a question, reach out to your instructor through our built-in messaging system or directly by email or phone.
RegisterChoosing The Right Assessments For Your Students
- 365 Days of Course Access
- Full Access to Course Resources – Tools, Graphic Organizers, Templates & Lesson Plans
- Instructor Feedback for Implementation
- Course Completion Certificate Ready to Submit for Clock Hours
Full Menu BundleFull Access Registration to All PD Courses
- 365 Days of User Access to All PD Courses
- Full Access to All Course Resources – Tools, Graphic Organizers, Templates & Lesson Plans
- Instructor Feedback for Implementation
- Course Completion Certificates For All Courses Taken, Ready to Submit for Clock Hours
How Our Courses Work:
Be the first to leave a review.